“All my life I’ve been WAITING for, I’ve been PRAYING for, for the PEOPLE to say, that we don’t wanna FIGHT no more, there will be NO more wars, and our CHILDREN will play. ONE DAY.”

{Matisyahu}

Sunday, October 27, 2013

For Helen



Dearest Helen,

Even though I know that you will never get the chance to read this, hopefully one day I will get to tell you in person when we aren’t separated by different continents, my appreciation for you and your hard work.  About a month ago, I walked into your shop to watch you paint.  As you painted scriptures onto paper, and ornate fans, I knew that I wanted something as a keepsake; not only from China, but something I could cherish a little more.  As I read your inspirational card which read, “Pray for China,” I knew that I had come to the right place.  

I didn’t see the journal that I bought from you, but my friend pointed one out to me, and as I sat and watched you paint, it lay there on your desk in front of me.  I held it.  Looked at it.  And wanted it.  When you were finished scribing on the picture you were selling, I was hesitant to ask you for a favor, but the worst you could have said was no, right?  On one of your scrolls was the scripture Joshua 24:15 which reads, “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (KJV)  Coming from a home where religion was always prevalent, I knew that this was what I wanted to remind myself every day of the task before me, which is simply to; serve the Lord.  I wanted this scripture in my journal, to keep my task at the forefront of my mind.  When I asked, I thought for a second that you would say no, but you patted my cheek, and said “Dear, it would be a challenge for me to do, but I do love a challenge.”  You even wrote my name in the corner for me!

I guess this is a really long and maybe lame way to simply say, thanks.  I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for over 6 years now, and it took me 4 years to get in the habit of daily scripture study.  Thinking back, I am not sure why that is so, but time has a weird way of playing things out.  I am glad that I get to take you along with me every day in search of truth, and happiness, or whatever I may find that day.  Hopefully, ONE DAY, I will get to see you, and teach you what your gift has helped me to retain.  

Prayerfully,

Sophia 


No comments:

Post a Comment